The Ashnil Mara Luxury Tented Camp is one of the lodges run by Ashnil Hotels, one of the newer hotel chains of Kenya. The Ashnil Mara Camp is located in the central part of the Maasai Mara Game Reserve and is situated next to the Mara river.
Following points make up my review of this tented camp:
1) The Ashnil Mara Camp is a great place to be if you are planning to visit it during the migration. Its proximity to the Mara river ensures that you are never too far away from the river crossings.
2) Since the place is close to the river, one can also see wildlife regularly from the tent property itself as they come to drink water or take a dip.
3) Ashnil Mara has got a lot of luxury even though you stay in tents. I absolutely loved the custom built wooden furniture (table, chairs, cots and sofa sets) that looked like small trees. The tents are real spacious. In fact, their standard tents are bigger than the superior rooms/tents in other lodges. The entire place has been done up tastefully.
4) Each tent has a private sit-out that faces the river. This makes for a great way to admire the scenic beauty around it.
5) The property also has a decent sized swimming pool. This comes in real handy as this riverside of Mara gets quite warm during the day.
6) The key thing that goes against this property is the higher concentration of mosquitoes. Not that these mosquitoes are yellow fever or malaria infested, but they inflict some serious bites in spite of the mosquito nets and other repellant. May be, this is because of the proximity to the river.
7) The food at Ashnil is pretty nice, but lacks the spread of the other places. I liked the dining atmosphere here though where you can eat by the river and post that you can enjoy your beverages on a seat that faces the Mara river.
8) They even have some even bonfire sessions which make for a great get together by the fire.
9) For some reason, I felt the service at Ashnil could have been slightly better. There are no things that I can pin point, but I somehow felt more comfortable with respect to service in the other wildlife camps.
Overall, the Ashnil Mara Camp is ideal to be close to the river during the migration season. It has got lots of luxury, but you will have to pay for it. The atmosphere is lovely if you don’t mind spending a little bit more.