The Sarova chain of hotels is one of the top hotel groups in Kenya. During my recent visit to Kenya, I got to stay at three of their properties, namely, the Sarova Panafric at Nairobi, the Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge at Lake Nakuru and the Sarova Mara Luxury Tented Camp at Maasai Mara. This review is based on my experience of staying at Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge inside Lake Nakuru National Park.
Following points make up my review of this game lodge:
1) The Lion Hill Game Lodge possibly has the smallest standard rooms of all game lodges that I stayed in. 2 people will struggle to move around in this room comfortably.
2) The Sarova group has the best food spread of all hotel chains in Kenya and this includes the Lion Hill Game Lodge too. The food and especially the desert is absolutely delicious. I would definitely return to the Sarova hotels just for their food.
3) The Lion Hill Game Lodge is situated on a hill overlooking Lake Nakuru. This provides great views of the lake at all times. If I remember right, all their rooms are lake-facing and hence that gives all their occupants a great balcony view.
4) They organize a tribal event every evening. Though, I am not a big fan of such organized gimmicks, I don’t mind them either.
5) Due to its proximity to the lake and being covered by dense forests, the lodge gets a lot of insects during the evening. But, that is the fun of living out in wild nature. If you keep the rooms closed and sleep inside your net, you will sleep peacefully.
6) I really like the service at the Sarova group. They take care of even the minutest of details. For example, if you request the chef for some special brand of food once, you will get it during all your meals without asking for it. They keep bed warmers under the blanket of each bed. This really comes in handy on a cold night.
7) Since the lodge is situated inside the park, game drives can be easily taken at all times without worrying about distance.
8) The area surrounding the lodge is great for birding. One can regularly spot weavers, doves and more. This is one of those places where you will definitely wake up to the songs of the birds.
9) Their entire property is very well landscaped and hence offers for a great walk in itself. For those who like having a pool in their resort, they will not be disappointed.
Overall, I would recommend the Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge simply because it is the better out of the two lodges located inside the park (the other lodge being the Lake Nakuru Lodge). For the money they charge, they definitely need to provide slightly bigger rooms. But, I guess they make up for that lack of space with their fantastic food spread.