Koh Phangan is a pretty large island that has a large variety of accommodation options from beach bungalows, jungle resorts, luxury resorts on the bay, beach shacks, guest houses, hotels and hostels. People who want a secluded environment prefer the west coast, while people who like to party, prefer the area around Haad Rin beach. This is where the bulk of the crowd stays for the full moon party and hence this is where most of the markets are located. I stayed in this Haad Rin area for 3 nights and 4 days at the Lazy House Hostel. Below is my review of this place.
1) This place has bunk style air conditioned dormitories with shared bathrooms. The place is huge, but each bunker hardly gets enough space to put their belongings and all. Thankfully, we were the only ones staying in the hostel and hence had no such problems, but had the hostel had enough people, I would have felt cramped.
2) The person managing this place is from Nepal and is very helpful and resourceful. Even when Koh Phangan had a blackout, he went out of his way to ensure we were kept comfortable.
3) The Lazy house hostel is located centrally in the Haad Rin area and all shops, restaurants, bike shops, bars and pubs are all in close proximity.
4) It is also close to the Haad Rin pier from where one can take boats to Koh Samui or take taxi boats to the other parts of the island, especially the east coast.
5) The place has it own bar, but I did not get a chance to check it out.
6) The place also has free wi-fi, safety lockers and CCTV security cameras.
Basically, the verdict is that this place is for budget travellers (250 THB per bed) who come here to party and don’t worry about the cramped beds as they will be out partying hard. Personally, it is not the kind of place, I would like to stay again.