If there is one area in Siem Reap that one needs to stay close to is the Old Market and Pub Street as this is where the night life, markets and restaurants exist in Siem Reap in plenty. If you stay close by to the old market, you don’t need to walk lots of distance for very meal or keep taking the tuk tuk. Instead, you could walk into a different restaurant for every meal. I stayed 8 nights in Siem Reap. Out of these, I stayed 3 nights away from the market and 5 nights closer to the market at the Green Town Guest House on Wat Bo street. This review is based on my experience of staying 5 nights and 6 days here.
1) The guest house is fantastic for the money you give. I paid USD 8 for a large twin bedroom with a fan. The room was quiet, had a private bathroom with hot shower, had free wi-fi, a TV and a wardrobe. In addition it had lots of walking space.
2) Be ready to bargain here as like all places in Cambodia, the prices are mentioned higher during your first conversation. I was quoted USD 10 for the room, but after some bargaining got it for USD 8.
3) The guest house has an in-house restaurant, though I would prefer to eat at the old market, where my plates will contain more food and cost lesser.
4) The guest house has their own laundry service and the cost is the same USD 1 per kg that is prevalent in the rest of the city.
5) The internet connectivity here can vary from very slow to decently fast. Thankfully, they have multiple connections, so if one of them fails you can switch to the other. They also have desktops for customers to log into the internet.
6) The guest house also provide bus booking and other tour booking services. I took the Mekong Express bus ticket from them and the price is the same as what I would have paid at the bus station.
7) The people running this place can do with some finesse and a lesson on racism. Mostly, they seem disinterested and do not offer to help unless you ask a question and second, they only like if you are of white skin as they know they can pay more money.
8) The guest house is a minute’s walk from the river and an easy ten minute walk to the old market where one can find souvenir shops, markets, restaurants, night life, super markets, ATMs and more.
9) Like a lot of guest houses and hotels in Siem Reap, this place also has its own tuk tuk service. Though, it is easy to catch a tuk tuk in Siem Reap as they are available in plenty.
I recommend this place for their room, proximity to the old market and the value for money. Even though I don’t necessarily like the people running this place. Ideal for solo travelers, backpackers and budget travelers.