Chiang Mai is one of those cities where you have to stay in the city center so that you can explore its streets, wats, markets and other key sights easily by foot. The city has so much to offer that you will miss some of it if you stay far away from it. I stayed for 4 nights and 5 days at a hostel/guest house called the Mojito Garden 2 to save a little bit of money. This review is based on my experience of staying there.
1) Mojito Garden 2 is great for budget travellers especially for solo travellers. At 120 baht per head, it is possibly the cheapest in the city. For this price, one gets to stay in their fan cooled dormitory. They also have huts where couples can stay.
2) The best attribute about this place is its proximity to the main spots of the city – Wat Phra Singh, Wat Chedi Luang, the Sunday market, the various night markets, the moat where the celebrations take place and most of the restaurants.
3) Like any other hostel, it offers a safety locker, free wi-fi, towel and separate night lights. Like other hostels, you get to meet a lot of like-minded travelers here. They also have a small gym if you feel like working out.
4) The place also has a bar and restaurant attached. On special days, they offer barbecue lunch or dinner and music to party in the evening.
5) The people running this place are very friendly and always go out of the way to help the tourist.
6) If there is one thing that the place can improve is its cleanliness. It is not bad, but I would prefer if they cleaned the toilets and showers more than once a day.
The place is ideal for budget travelers who are looking to stay right in the heart if the city.