Most of the tourists visiting Phnom Penh like to stay close to the river coz that is where most of the action is . The river front is close to the Royal Palace, offers great views of the river, has most of Phnom Penh’s night life, has a great assortment of restaurants and allows you to sample the Phnom Penh culture. During my stay at Phnom Penh, I also stayed close to the river just for the above reasons. It is difficult to find a good place here, but I was happy that I found the Phnom Penh Guest House on my second attempt of finding a decent place here. The first one was a disastrous attempt as I ended up in a bad place. Below is my review of staying at this place for 3 nights and 4 days.
1) Like most of the riverfront properties, the good thing about Phnom Penh guest house is location. It is not right on the riverfront, but just in a parallel street behind the riverfront. So, you don’t have to tolerate the riverfront traffic and pollution, while staying just a couple of minutes away by walk.
2) The guest house is located right next door to a super market. Hence, day to day groceries can be easily bought. The main market area is also just a short walk away, so in case you want to buy fruits in bulk, you can do that.
3) The rooms in this place are big, air-conditioned, have a balcony that offers view of the street below and a private bathroom. The bathroom, though is a bit too small. But for $16 (I bargained and reduced $2 from the initial quoted price of $18), it is the best deal you can get in the neighborhood.
4) The place comes with free wi-fi, offers laundry service, has a travel desk to help with bookings and has a helpful reception.
5) The best thing about this place is that it abhors taking call girls into the room. Hence, it is good for all kinds of travelers.
6) All the good restaurants, bars, ticket booking offices, the passenger port for the Mekong river are all within walking distance. For those who wish to take a tuk tuk, you can find them almost everywhere.
I would recommend this place as a decent option for all kinds of budget travelers who wish to stay close to the river front area of Phnom Penh.