Staying next to the beach is always fun, but staying beside a river can be fun too. One such place is Kampot, the town in Southern Cambodia that is situated at the foothills of the Bokor Mountains. While the lush green Bokor mountains, its pepper plantations and the powdery white beaches of neighboring Kep are the main tourist attractions here, the true attraction of Kampot lies in its river. And that is why nearly all of the hostels, guest houses and bungalows are located beside the river. While I was at Kampot, I stayed at the Bungalow Kampot river, a budget hut type guest house that is located right by the river. I stayed here for 2 days and 1 night and this review is based on this recent experience of mine. The location was so nice that I wished that I could stay longer, but unfortunately I had a pre-booked bus ticket to Vietnam the next day from Phnom Penh.
1) The more I harp on the location, the lesser it will be. The place is ideal for backpackers. Huts built on stilts are located close to the river. On the 1st floor is your room and on the ground floor is your bathroom.
2) These bamboo huts cost about USD 6 per night and come with a double bed, towels, blankets, electricity, free wi-fi and oodles of peace.
3) Travelers who carry hammocks will like this place a lot as there is a lot of space to fix your hammock, read a book or just take a long siesta. The hut also comes with its own hammock. The one you carry will be an extra.
4) Since this place is like a backpacker den, the people who stay here stick around for a long while and they make for very interesting company.
5) The Bungalow Kampot river has a restaurant that is literally on the water. Breakfast in this restaurant is a brilliant site. You can have your morning coffee, go for a swim, have breakfast and sun bathe on the tubes that float in their property. Or if you feel adventurous, you can jump from a nearby dive board.
6) At around the evening time, you can either go for a swim, paddle your bamboo raft or go on a sunset cruise arranged by the guest house.
7) The other great thing about this restaurant is their food. Not only is its authentic fare, but they give enormous quantity.
8) There are some things in this place that sophisticated tourists won’t like. For example a frog in your bathing bucket, a lot of spiders and insects to give you company and more. But, that is the beauty of staying in the countryside. Your hut comes with a mosquito net and hence you can ensure that the mosquitos and insects stay clear of you. And then there is always insect repellant.
9) The guest house also arranges tours to Kep and the Bokor mountains. They provide bicycles free of cost to all their customers so that they can explore the countryside at their own pace. They also help in booking bus tickets.
In overall, the Bungalow Kampot river is a great place to spend your river side holiday. Personally, I definitely want to return here again as I liked this place and the surrounding environment a lot. The place is ideal for backpackers and budget travelers who prefer to stay long durations at one place.