The Monkey brand is pretty popular with backpackers in Sihanoukville and Koh Rong. It is run by expats like most of the tourist accommodation in these two places and is quite busy during the tourist season. I stayed here for one day and one night while I was at Sihanoukville. I stayed longer at Sihanoukville, but kept moving base from one hostel to another. The below review is based on my experience of staying here recently.
1) Run by expats and managed by English speaking locals, the Monkey Republic hostel and their Monkey Island property on Koh Rong is immensely popular with backpackers and solo travelers. Their rooms are bunk bed style dormitories that are basic, yet comfortable.
2) They charge $3 per bed, but give you all the basic amenities that a backpacker seeks, i.e. large bed, towel, free wi-fi, clean bathroom and toilet, 4-bed dormitories with private sit outs, etc.
3) The place comes with an attached bar, restaurant, a pool table and a great set of people to interact with.
4) The hostel has a great name in their respective area and hence all the locals know it. They arrange tours, do bus and hotel bookings too. They have their own dive agency that is situated next door to them.
5) Since the place is frequented by young travelers, it has quite a party culture and this might irk those early sleepers whose rooms are close to the bar or pool table area.
Overall, the place is ideal for people traveling on a shoestring, who need good company and seek basic but important amenities in their hostel