In a city like Hoi An, one should try and stay in a local’s house than in a hotel. The reasons are plenty. The locals of Hoi An are very friendly, their houses are away from the busy area and hence quieter, you get more for a lesser price, you get to stay with a local family who don’t pester you to buy anything and you get easy accessibility to the restaurants and the happening parts of town. These are the reasons why I moved from a hotel after 1 night and stayed 6 nights and 7 days at Mrs.Flower’s Homestay on 39, Thai Phien street. Below review is based on my recent experience.
1) Mrs. Flower’s Homestay is run by a local Vietnamese lady Mrs. Flower and her husband. She lets out 3 rooms. The rooms are fairly large, accommodate a double bed, a wardrobe, a refrigerator, an air-conditioner and a private/shared bathroom.
2) The room prices vary from $10 to $12 per night depending on the size of the room. This is way less than what the hotels charge for a similar sized room.
3) The family living in this house are very helpful. They try and help you out with languages, directions, best times, best places to eat, cheap places, etc.
4) Mineral water bottles are kept outside each room and one pays only for the water they consume. Free wi-fi is available, but the reception is stronger in the ground floor. Tenants can also use the laundry machine for a small fee. You use it, you take it out and dry it out on the terrace concept.
5) If there is a problem with this place, it is the 11 PM tock down. Sometimes, you feel like spending a late night out with friends or being in a bar or restaurant till past mid night. This is not possible here as the doors to the house shut at 11 PM.
6) In my room, the AC was there, but it was under repair and since it was the Tet holidays no one could come to repair. May be it was my bad luck, but things happen a bit slower in the house when compared to a hotel. Thankfully, the weather was pleasant and my room had a large window thus allowing good air circulation.
7) The cheap restaurants are all close by and even the main shopping district is just a short walk away.
8) If you want to either rent a motorcycle or a bicycle, you can directly approach Mrs. Flower or go to any of the multiple shops near by. A cycle should cost you 10 to 30,000 dong depending on the condition and a motorbike between $4 and $5 per day.
9) Most of the tour booking agencies are located close by and within walking distance. Since Hoi An is a small town, everything is within walking distance. The super marts are also close by and if you want, you can store perishables in your room’s refrigerator.
10) The family staying in this house are very friendly and will always invite you for food and drinks.
11) Most of the people living in the house sleep by 11 PM and hence you will have to get into hostel mode and keep the decibel level down after 10 PM.
This place is ideal for budget travelers and couples who like to stay long durations and like to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist districts. If you would like to book here, you can contact them by phone at +84 983150329 or by email at email@example.com.