If you are planning a holiday in Sihanoukville, you should stay close to one of its beaches. Serendipity and Occheteual beaches are the most popular with tourists and have all the facilities and amenities. The Otres beach is more known for its clean beach and is fast becoming popular with tourists. During my 2nd stay at Sihanoukville, I stayed at the Led Zephyr Bungalows for a day and a night. I would have stayed longer, but had to look out for a different place as the hostel was booked for the next day. The Led Zephyr Bungalows is actually a hostel run by an expat and his team. Below review is based on my recent experience of staying with them.
1) They have both AC and non-AC dormitories. AC dorm beds come for $5 per person, while it costs $4 for a bed in a fan room.
2) Each dormitory has 4 beds and is a mixed dormitory style. For people who prefer more privacy, the hostel also has some rooms.
3) Like all hostels, this place also comes with a lot of shared bathrooms, a open sit out with chairs and tables. You can either sit and check your email and catch up with friends over a drink.
4) The rooms are fairly decent with large size beds, mosquito beds and good ventilation. However, since the property is located close to dense tree cover, you can expect large geckos and insects to enter your room and say ‘HELLO’.
5) The one thing that irked me here is the hygiene level of the bathrooms and the toilets in the 2nd half of the day. In the mornings, they are very nice and clean, but as the day goes on, it gets dirtier and stinky. May be, it is because tourists put toilet paper into the bowl when the system does not allow it, but that is not my headache, but the hostel’s problem.
6) The place has free wi-fi, has an attached bar and restaurant where live music is played and does bus and other travel bookings.
7) The hostel is not far away from the beach, other restaurants and the to-visit places.
Overall, it is a good place for backpackers and is worth the four dollars that you spend, but even then I would like the place better if they improved their bathroom and toilet hygiene conditions.