If you are halting even for a night in the sleepy border town of Muang Khua, you have got to stay close to the river. It is not just about the views, but it is the river that is the source of all existence in Laos. When I was there at Muang Khua, I stayed at the Manmootan Guest House that overlooks the river. I stayed here only for a night, but would have loved to stay here for more nights as the easy going town really appealed to me. Below review is based on my recent experience here.
1) For 50,000 kip (~6.5 USD), one gets a wooden room that overlooks the river. The facilities in the room are basic, but you do get twin beds or 1 queen size bed with mosquito nets and an attached bathroom.
2) The place does not have internet connectivity, but that adds to the charm and lack of connectivity in this place.
3) There is no fan or AC in the room, but it is hardly missed as the town gets pretty cold during the night and stays pretty pleasant all through the day.
4) The one thing that is sorely missed here is the hot shower. Cold showers can be managed only during the noon time and that too with some teeth chattering.
5) The people running the place are very friendly and will try and answer all your questions with the limited English that they know. They will invite you for dinner (all you can eat and drink) for 25,000 kip (~3 USD). During this dinner, you will be offered rice, vegetables, meat, eggs and unlimited water and Lao Lao (home brewed rice whiskey).
6) The guest house is located close to a thin wooden bridge that makes quite a bit of racket when motorcycles cross it. Thankfully, there is no traffic on the bridge during the night and very less during the day.
7) The place comes with a large sit-out facing the river that makes for an ideal place to sip some hot tea/coffee on a cold morning, read a book during the afternoon or watch sunset during the evening.
8) The town is very small and hence every place worth seeing or visiting is a short walk from the guest house.
Even though the place is basic, I really liked its location and relaxed atmosphere. I will definitely stay here whenever I return to Muang Khua.