The standard tourist to Vietnam doesn’t have the sleepy town of Ninh Binh in their itinerary and hence only a small bunch of hotels are present in this town. But, if you do plan to visit this town to see the limestone grottoes of Tam Coc, you will end up staying at one of the places near the Ninh Binh railway station unless you want to the spend a lot of money and stay at the fancy resort outside the town. I stayed at the Mini Queen Backpacker Hostel for 2 days and 2 nights and the below review is based on my recent experience.
1) At USD 8 for a large air-conditioned room with 2 double beds, this is total value for money. It has hot shower in the attached bathroom too.
2) It is just opposite the railway station, so there might be some sound when the train passes. But, thankfully, there are a few trains that cross this small station.
3) The reception of this hostel is very helpful. He helped us map the entire tourist trail for us apart from arranging a motorbike for us to use. Without his assistance, it would have been a tough time for me to get around as the locals hardly speak any English.
4) The place also has an in-house restaurant, but the food quality leaves a lot to be desired. But, since all the restaurants are a short walk away, you need not eat at their restaurant.
5) Since the hotel is close to the railway station, access to out of the city is very easy.
6) All the tourist spots are slightly away from Ninh Binh town and hence it does not matter where you are staying in Ninh Binh. Keeping that in mind, the place didn’t have any issues.
7) The restaurants, grocery stores and travel booking centers are all located a short walk away.
If you are a budget traveller to Ninh Binh who is looking for quality accommodation, but ensuring value for money, then the Mini Queen Backpacker Hostel is a great place. Keep it in mind while planning a trip there.