Vang Vieng is a tourist destination that starting with tubing in the Nam Song river and hence it is no surprise that most of the guest houses and hotels are either facing the river or located close to it. While there is no dearth of accommodation in Vang Vieng, it is difficult to find a good place where all your conditions are met. I stayed for 3 nights at the Popular view guest house and it met some of my conditions. Below review is based on my recent experience of staying here.
1) The Popular view guest house is located very close to the river, the TV bars, the restaurants and the happening places of Vang Vieng without getting loud in the rooms.
2) For 80,000 kip (~10USD), they offer large air conditioned rooms with TV and hot shower facility in attached bathroom.
3) They also offer free filtered drinking water (which is very good to have), free tea/coffee and bananas in the morning.
4) The only significant problem with this place is that the internet connectivity is very limited in the rooms. The connection is strong only at the hotel’s reception.
5) TV works in the room, but all channels have poor transmission and clarity. I found out that the entire Vang Vieng faces this problem.
6) The tubing vendor and the motorcycle rental agencies are all located next door. All the attractions from Vang Vieng are more or less the same distance from everywhere in town.
7) The hotel does bookings for you, but they charge a commission.
The place is good for budget travelers who seek some basic luxuries in hot and humid Vang Vieng.