River Garden Guest House: Simple Wooden Huts next to the river on the South side of Don Det, 4000 Islands, Laos
Don Det and Don Khon in the 4,000 islands is a great place to relax for a long time. While Don Det’s north side is the sunset side and the more busier side, the south side of Don Det and Don Khon is the more quieter side. I stayed on the south side of Don Det at the River Garden Guest House for 2 days and 2 nights. The below review is based on my recent stay with them.
1) For 30,000 kip, you get your own hut with a double bed and an attached bathroom and a private sit out with 2 hammocks.
2) The hut is close to the river and is separate from other properties.
3) They have an in-house restaurant that serves good food. The other restaurants are a short walk away.
4) Since this guest house is on the south side of the island, it doesn’t get too warm inside the huts even in summer.
5) There is free wi-fi at the guest house, but only till 10:30 pm in the night when the router gets switched off.
6) The rooms have mosquito nets and a fan, but nothing more in terms of luxury. They are very basic.
7) There is no hot shower in the bathroom.
8) The busier side of the island is the north side and that is where the bulk of the restaurants and shops are. So, it will take you about 30 minutes to walk to that side from the guest house. But, that is the point of staying away from the crowd.
9) The Don Khon bridge and the waterfalls are a short walk or ride away. For the big waterfall, one needs to take a boat.
This is a great place if you are a budget traveler who is looking for some quiet place to read a book, spend some time with your partner, do some relaxed swimming and/or just put your feet up on a hammock.