In Indonesia’s Java, it is very difficult to find backpacker like hostels as everything is geared towards a couple traveller with provisions for rooms and if you are a single traveller, you end up paying double occupancy charges. Hence, I was very elated when I came across the Kampong Tourist backpacker hostel near Malang’s city center. I liked the place so much that I ended up staying 6 nights here. Below review is based on my recent experience of staying here.
1) Kampong Tourist has both dormitory and private accommodation. A bed in their dorm costs 50,000 rupiah, while if you want a double bed in their dorm, it costs 90,000 rupiah. Their private huts or gazebos cost 125,000 rupiah. For this price, they offer quite decent facilities and service.
2) The dormitories are bamboo styled accommodation with a big mattress for each bunker bed. There are private lights and private charging points. Safety lockers are provided, but one needs to bring their own padlocks. There are no fans in the dorm, but the weather is very pleasant in the night to the extent that you might feel cold.
3) Shower rooms and toilets are plenty and clean and are shared by all customers (dorm and gazebos).
4) Free wi-fi is provided and it has lightning speeds. I had bad connectivity for 2 days though.
5) The location of the hotel is fantastic. It is a short walk from the train station and is located close to most of the main tourist attractions of Malang. Since, it is located on the top floor of the luxurious Helios hotel, safety, location, parking and other amenities are taken care of.
6) They also provide the services of a travel company located downstairs to take care of all your travel needs.
7) The hostel arranges free city tours (run by students who are learning English) to all its customers if they are interested.
8) They have an in-house restaurant and bar that is open from 7 AM to 12 midnight. Their food is good and the prices only a slightly higher than the street outside. Do remember to try out their Javanese wine. Even though it is fruity, it can give you a good buzz in no time.
9) The reception is very friendly and try their level best to answer your queries. If they cannot, they point you in the right direction.
10) Since the hostel is situated on the 4th floor of the building, one can see lovely views of the mountains (on clear days) and of the colonial style architecture of Malang from the top.
11) The only negative thing that I can think about the hostel is that they don’t provide a towel. While this irks most of the travelers, most of the backpackers are prepared with their own towels.
I really loved this place and would love to stay there again when I return to Malang. If you are a backpacker or a budget traveler, I recommend you try out this place.