The options to stay are limited in Myitkyina, the capital of Myanmar’s northernmost Kachin state. In terms of budget stay, there is YMCA, the golden light hotel, the golden city hotel and the new light hotel. I stayed at the New Light Hotel for 4 days and 3 nights. The below review is based on my recent experience of staying here.
1) This place run by a Sikh family who have been living in Myanmar for over 3 generations. It is one of the more larger hotels and the more cleaner ones.
2) The prices are in line with Myanmar standards, but the quality is much higher. The rooms are much bigger and much cleaner than the other hotels I have stayed in Myanmar. There is scope for bargains and discounts if you visit either during the lean season or stay for longer durations.
3) The hotel offers free breakfast every morning between 7 AM and 9 AM on their roof top restaurant that offers great views of the Myitkyina city.
4) There is no internet connectivity at the hotel. In fact, only some internet cafes have the connection in the city and that too it is very slow there.
5) When I was here, there was hardly any electricity supply during the days. The hotel runs the backup power generators only for short durations. Thankfully, the Myitkyina weather is not as warm as the other parts of the country and the rooms are also well aired and large to allow for a comfortable stay even without electricity.
6) The hotel is located real close to the railway station, the various markets and the river. A short walk away are the pagodas, churches and the popular manao park.
7) There are many restaurants located within walking distance from the hotel.
8) The hotel staff are also helpful in guiding you to the various tourist attractions in and around Myitkyina.
This is a good place to explore Myitkyina from and perfect for all kinds of tourists.