It it not just me who is saying that the Six Degrees Hostel is the best in the world, but the entire world is. Everyone seems to give them a great review and this has ensured that this fairly new hostel has risen to stardom in a very short span of time. Be it hostelworld, hostels.com or any other hostel booking site, these guys seem to be on the top. I was lucky to stay here for 5 days and 4 nights and the below review is based on my recent experience of staying here.
1) The best attribute about this hostel is that it has been designed by backpackers and that is why every backpacking need is kept in mind.
2) The place comes with air-conditioned dormitory pods and individual rooms. There is a common lounge area with a movie theatre setup, a billiards table, a reading area and a computer area.
3) The place comes with lightning fast wi-fi and all bookings come with free breakfast. Coffee, tea and water are free throughout the stay of the customer.
4) Smoking is not allowed in the lounge area and in the rooms, but one can smoke in the roof top terrace that offers great views of the city while listening to some great music.
5) This place is run by two English guys and two Indonesian girls and all four of them are young and are interested in making great friends with their customers. This ensures that the customers automatically find a place that is like home.
6) The folks running the place offer great tips and are perfect in guiding around to the various hot spots in the city of Jakarta.
7) The dormitory pods have a well thought through setup with great soft mattresses, private reading lamp, private charging points, a fan (over and above the air-conditioning), a safety locker and a curtain for the pod for those who seek privacy while sleeping.
8) The other great attribute about this place is its centrally location and proximity to the tourist attractions. Restaurants, ATMs, shopping malls, train stations, key tourist attractions and many more can be either walked from the hostel or is a short drive away.
I really liked this hostel and know where to stay whenever I visit Jakarta again. According to me, it is perfect for backpackers, budget travelers and even families on a tight budget. You get all the above for 135,000 rupiah (~14 USD) and in my opinion that is a steal when you compare it to the rest of Jakarta.