Bali is one of those few places in Indonesia where more homestays are available than hotels especially in areas that is far away from the very touristy Kuta and South Bali area. Staying in a homestay is a great cultural experience as to stay with local people in their houses and get to interact with them on a daily basis. While I was in Ubud in Central Bali, I stayed at this place called the Dewi Ayu 2 Homestay on Jalan Hanoman. The below review is based on my recent experience of staying here for 4 days and 3 nights.
1) The rooms in the homestay are basic, but are very clean and comfortable for 100,000 rupiah a night. For this price, you get a double bed that can be shared by 2 people, a fan cooled room, a dressing table, an attached bathroom with cold shower and a balcony with a private sit-out.
2) They serve simple, but tasty breakfast free of cost. Breakfast consists of one banana pancake, fresh fruits and hot tea.
3) The place is run by a nice Bali family who try their level best to make your stay comfortable. If you are interested in knowing and understanding more about Bali culture, you can watch how they about their prayers and offerings and you can ask them questions.
4) The place has a lovely garden that you can walk and explore. There are 2 pet rabbits and a dog who roam this garden. If you wish, you can pet them.
5) Wi-fi is free and is accessible from every room. Though, wi-fi did not work for me on the first 2 days of my stay here.
6) The homestay is located on Jalan Hanoman and is right in the middle of the central area of town. It is easy to rent a motorbike, hire a car, get a taxi, go on a tour, indulge in some shopping and go on a food tasting spree at one of the many delicious restaurants located on this street.
7) Most of the central Ubud attractions are all a short walk away from the homestay.
8) The place has some insects coming into the room at night if you keep your windows and doors open, but they hardly bother you. You can spray some insect repellant if you do not like bugs bothering you.
9) The place is unbelievably quiet at night and is perfect for those looking to sleep very well.
This place is ideal for those kind of budget travelers who like to stay closer to local culture and do not need the luxuries and pampering of a hotel.