Ketapang is one of those small towns which many tourists use as a pit stop between two large destinations. These destinations are Bali and Gunung Bromo. Ketapang is the place where one can take the ferry from Java to Bali and vice versa and a lot of people prefer to break their journey here from the 12 hour journey between South Bali and Gunung Bromo. I was at Ketapang not for taking the ferry to Bali, but instead I just found my way into it as I took a train from Malang to Banyuwangi and landed here late in the night and ended up staying at a basic hotel, Hotel Lingkar for the night. This review is to help those budget travelers who are looking to spend the night at Ketapang.
1) Hotel Lingkar is a very basic hotel for those on a true budget trip. You can get a fan cooled double room for 45,000 rupiah or (~4.5 USD). The room comes with an attached cold shower bathroom and a western toilet with no seat cover and a fan that doesn’t seem to have an impact on the room. Thankfully, the nights are pleasant and the ineffectiveness of the fan doesn’t hurt.
2) The hotel is new, but everything about it is basic as can be seen through the furnishings. It looks like this hotel has been built for people looking to stay here for only one night.
3) The hotel offers free breakfast, which is 2 slices of bread and tea.
4) The hotel doesn’t have any internet connectivity or free wi-fi.
5) The hotel reception are nice, but speak very little English and don’t have much clue about the tourist attractions around.
6) The hotel is close by to the Banyuwangi Baru train station and the Ketapang ferry terminal.
7) The hotel has many restaurants (local warungs) located close by and is also close to the main highway connecting Banyuwangi to the Ketapang ferry terminal where you can find a Angkot.
You can’t do much in this hotel, but if you want a cheap and decent place to crash for the night, this place is a good choice. Do make sure you check out next day else you will go mad as there is nothing to do here.