Kuta is the place to be if you are looking at budget accommodation in South Bali. Even though I hate the place for its bad traffic, I still end up going there because it has many budget accommodation options especially around the Poppies 1 and Poppies 2 lanes. During my recent trip to Bali, I stayed at the Hotel Losmen Rempen, situated on a side lane from Poppies 1. I stayed here for 2 nights and the below review is based on my recent experience of staying here.
1) There is board pointing to this hotel saying ‘We sell magic mushroom here’. Well, they do sell magic mushroom, but there is nothing else magic about this place as they are very basic. For 100,000 rupiah, you will get a double room (fan cooled) with an attached bathroom (cold shower only) and a balcony. Everything else is supremely basic or threadbare.
2) The place is actually an old Balinese house managed by a local Balinese family. The place needs maintenance, but I guess the family needs funds too.
3) The place comes with free wi-fi, which is slow at times.
4) Breakfast is not provided, but most of the eating joints are just a short walk away.
5) The best attribute about this place is its proximity to the happening areas. It is a 5 minute walk to the beach, a similar walk to all the small shopping areas, a 5-10 minute walk to all the different restaurants and a 5 minute walk to the Hard Rock Café and bar.
6) Jalan Legian or the drinking street is also just a short walk away.
7) The rooms come with a sit-out too, but again like the room, they are basic. The lights in the room are also very dim.
8) There were no bed bugs, less number of mosquitoes in the night time and overall the place was very safe and quiet.
The place is got for really budget travelers, especially students, surfers and the likes. I would not recommend this place for couples, even though hardened couples would be comfortable here.