Finding good budget accommodation is always tough. Thankfully, I found mine on my second attempt in Singapore when I booked myself at the Royal Hostel on Chinatown’s Smith Street. The below review is based on my recent experience of staying 4 nights and 5 days here.
1) The Royal Hostel feels like home since the folks there treat you like family and make you feel welcomed. I have been to hostels in many countries and this is one of those places where I liked from the 1st hour.
2) For S$22 per day, you get an air-conditioned bed in a 16-bed dormitory, a safety locker (you bring your own padlocks), free breakfast, free wi-fi and a private light. Towels are not included, but can be bought for S$4.
3) Bathrooms and toilets are shared. They are small, but very functional and clean.
4) The wi-fi is free and is lightning quick. It is more in line with Singapore speeds unlike some other hostels which give you very low speeds.
5) Most of the people staying in this hostel are long term in mates and it is fun hanging out with them. I was lucky to get singers, dancers, parkour artists and regular tourists for company.
6) The reception staff are very kind and always looking to help you as a friend than as a customer. The personal touch makes it a great experience.
7) The hostel is just a couple of lanes from the Chinatown MRT, close to all the tourist hot spots, a short walk away from the malls and shopping areas of Chinatown and a short walk to the restaurants and the various food centers. Basically, it has great location.
8) Air-conditioning is switched off daily from 10 AM to 4 pm during room cleaning hours. But, if the room cleaning is complete and if you request the front desk, they would happily turn on the AC for you.
9) Free breakfast is provided every morning from 7 AM to 10:30 PM. Breakfast is simple toast, butter, jam and tea/coffee.
10) A communal fridge is available in case you wish to store your food and drinks.
11) Laundry services are provided too for a cost. Everything is self service.
I would happily recommend this place to all backpackers, budget travelers, traveling couples and even folks on short business trips. It makes for a great stay and you meet great people. Great location is a bonus.