Sandakan is an important location in Borneo as it is the gateway to the orangutan sanctuary at Sepilok, the Proboscis Monkey sanctuary at Labuk bay, the wildlife cruises on the Kinabatangan river, the rainforests of Danum valley and the volcanic islands off Semporna. And it also has a domestic airport, which means that lots of tourists visit this town. Because of this demand, there are many kinds of hostels and hotels doing business in Sandakan. During my recent stay at Sandakan, I stayed at a newly setup hostel called the Borneo Sandakan Backpackers. The below review is based on my experience of staying 2 nights and 2 days here.
1) For 22 RM, one gets a bed in an air-conditioned dormitory. These dormitories are brand new, have fans and exhaust fans too. Apart from dormitories, the hostel have private rooms too.
2) This is one of those hostels that is not cramped and has ample space in everything, be its rooms, bathrooms, toilets, common area and reception.
3) The place comes with free wi-fi, which is pretty fast and reliable.
4) Free breakfast is served every morning from 7 AM to 10 AM. This includes toast, butter, jam, peanut butter and coffee/tea.
5) The hostel is located next to the harbour and is close to important places like the bus station, pharmacy stores, super markets, restaurants and shopping stores.
6) The hostel runs its own tour company too and they offer great deals for the backpacker.
7) The only problem with this hostel is that they do not have safety lockers. This makes you worry about your valuables always and not be in peace.
8) The reception is very resourceful in providing you maps and guiding you in the right direction.
This hostel is ideal for backpackers and budget travelers. Since it is new, it is very clean. Hopefully, it stays that way.