The last few days of my Asia backpacking trip was at Kuala Lumpur, the hub of Malaysia. As with many other major cities, I decided to stay right in the middle of the tourist district and ended up staying in the heart of KL’s Chinatown on Jalan Petaling. The place I stayed at was called Hotel Ocean 77 and the below review is based on my recent experience of staying 4 days and 4 nights here.
1) Hotel Ocean 77 is right in the middle of Jalan Petaling, in the heart of Chinatown, a short walk to Central market and to Little India and the Pasar Seni MTR is very close by. This gives it prime location.
2) For its quality, it is great value for money. It lacks in space, but apart from that it takes care of all modern luxury (Elevator, good air-conditioner, cleanliness, good mattresses, hot shower, fast shower, LCD Television, access card entry, CCTV Cameras and more).
3) They do not have a kitchen and hence do not offer any food or drinks.
4) They offer free wi-fi, but the speeds are terribly slow.
5) The reception is helpful in providing you with directions, maps, etc.
6) This hotel is ideal for those looking to do a lot of curio, gifts and fake shopping.
7) The Bukit Bintang shopping district is also a short walk away, making it perfect for shoppers.
8) All kinds of restaurants and super markets are located close by to take care of the heavy influx of tourists here.
This hotel is good for budget travelers, couples and families looking to keep Chinatown as a base and explore the rest of KL around it.