Thimphu, the capital of Bhutan has a lot of sights and if you are a backpacker and budget traveler, you have to stay right in its heart so that access to all basic needs and sights is easy. During my recent backpacking trip to Bhutan, I stayed at Thimphu 3 times and a total of 5 nights. On those days, I ended up staying at Hotel Tandin, a clean budget hotel located on Norzin Lam and close to Thimphu’s clock tower. The below review is based on my recent experience of staying multiple nights here.
1) Since the hotel is located on Norzin Lam, it is located close to all the restaurants, shops, the bus station, the taxi stand, the immigration office and some of the key tourist attractions.
2) For a price of INR/BTN 1150 (Indian/Bhutanese price), one gets a spacious double room with television, room heater and hot water. While the room is very clean and comfortable, the room heater might not be the best for the cold months, but thankfully their blankets are top class.
3) This place is popular with Indian tourists and boasts of a great Indian kitchen. The food here is really top class. Personally, I tried their Indian and Bhutanese dishes.
4) The hotel provides free wi-fi, but the connection is patchy at most times.
5) The folks at the reception are helpful and possess enough knowledge to guide the tourist to the key attractions.
6) There is an ATM right below the hotel, making money matters easy.
7) The hotel is located right on the main street of Thimphu, but in spite of it, there is hardly an sound or disturbance in the rooms.
8) The hotel also provides taxi booking services, though I did not avail those services.
For its price and quality, this place is a value buy. If you prefer Indian food, look no further, as they are the best Indian restaurant in the whole of Thimphu. Even the king gets his Indian dishes from here.