Bali is a world renowned tourist spot situated in Indonesia. Every year, millions of tourists from all corners of the world visit this place. Apart from enjoying the exotic beauties, there are several things to do in Bali. From sightseeing to trekking, safari to shopping, people can indulge themselves in several activities to lose track of time. However, the most popular activity of Bali is surfing.
There are very few people, who visit Bali, but do not go for surfing. According to the level of expertise in this popular water-sport, the exotic beaches of Bali can be categorized to several parts. However, keeping in mind the fact that most people are the first-timers in surfing, Here are the 5 most popular surfing spots for beginners in Bali:
1. Kuta This is the first beach for the surfers in the island. Robert Koke, an America, followed by a couple of locals, started surfing in this spot, in 1936. Though several changes took place, Kuta still remains one of the most attractive surfing spots around the world till date. The water current gets stronger and the waves grow bigger than before in the afternoon. Therefore, beginners are advised to enjoy surfing in the early morning, and leave it to the experts in the afternoon.
2. Legian This beach is considered as the sister beach of Kuta. Just like Kuta, the waves in this surfing spot have an average height of one to three feet, making it an ideal place for beginners. One advantage that this spot enjoys over its sister beach is that, this area is less crowded than the former one. As a result, several surf schools have popped up in the Legian beach to help people be an expert surfer. However, just like Kuta, try to stay away from the water in the afternoon.
3. Tuban The popular ‘Airport Lefts’ and ‘Airport Rights’ surf spots are situated just outside the Ngurah Rai International Airport. In this spot, the swells can be as high as five feet. However, one would need a boat ride to go beyond the reef, and reach the spot. Beginners can enjoy moderate waves near the beach. The crowd varies day to day but is less compared to that of Kuta.
4. Canggu This is one of the most gorgeous beach, as well as surfing spot in the island. It is just 30 minutes away from Kuta, with a local name of Pantai Batu Bolong, after the local temple with the same name. The sunset here is awesome, making it one of the most beautiful, yet functional place for the surfers. The waves here are appropriate for almost all types of surfers. However, the beginners should be careful as, unlike other beaches there are no lifeguard patrols on this coast.
5. Seminyak This white-grey sand beach, situated on the northern side of Legian beach, offers larger swells, some of which are almost double the size found in Kuta. However, short lengths are available, which are ideal for beginners and kids. Being a comparatively less crowded area, there are several camps and surfing schools in this spot.
Therefore, choose either of the above spots to include surfing among several other things to do in Bali to enjoy the water and beaches like never before.
Summary: Keep the fear aside, and go for surfing in one of the most exotic beaches in Bali to enjoy the beaches ad water in the most innovative way possible, while feeling the rush of adrenaline through the spine.
Courtesy: The photos in this post are courtesy of wikipedia.org under the creative commons license.