If the coral reefs and the marine life of Damaniyat Islands is in your radar, then your closest base has to be Al Sawadi at the coastal fringes of Oman. And the best property in Al Sawadi is the Al Sawadi Beach Resort and Spa. On my recent trip to Oman, I stayed here for 2 days and 1 night while exploring the Damaniyat Islands and the below review is based on this recent experience of mine.
1) This beach property holds all permits to go to Damaniyat Islands. So, if you stay here, you need not worry about your permits to Damaniyat Islands.
2) They hold rights to the only scuba diving outfit in this region. So, if your interests are scuba diving and snorkeling trips, then this place would be your ideal option. You can also do your certification here. They are a SSI certified outfit.
3) The place has great location, but the property is quite dated and hence one can find rooms to be pretty worn out at places.
4) Customer service is in this place is a bit slow and leaves a lot to be desired.
5) Food is served at a common dining hall and it is in buffet style. Food is of good quality, though nothing is exceptional. The spread is good though.
6) In the entire property, internet is available only at the reception area.
7) Every room is given access to a beach towel.
8) The Al Sawadi beach is alright and one can swim in its waters, but for the best experience, head to Damaniyat Islands.
9) The resort also has a nice swimming pool located next to the bar.
Overall, the place has great location, can do with some repairs and an overall lift in quality. If you seek some luxury while going to Damaniyat Islands, this is your best option as they have monopoly here.