I love to stay in hostels because they offer comfortable budget accommodation through an air conditioned environment with safety lockers, great wi-fi, proximity to the tourist attractions and the ability to meet like minded travelers. On my international travels, I have stayed in umpteen hostels for a significant amount of time, but never came across good quality hostels in India till I came across Zostel.
Zostel is a hostel chain that runs hostels at Jaipur, Udaipur and Jodhpur in Rajasthan, India’s most tourist oriented state. Zostel offers quality and facilities that are on par with hostels across the world and at great budget Indian prices. On my recent trip to Rajasthan, I managed to stay for 3 days at their hostel in Jodhpur. This review is based on this recent experience of mine.
1) Unlike a typical Indian hostel, this one comes with international quality standards. Their beds, rooms, safety lockers and washrooms are all of great quality.
2) They are air-conditioned and offer great comfort in Rajasthan’s heat.
3) They have the concept of a central meet-up area where all travelers can meet, strike interesting conversations and share their stories.
4) Zostel offers free wi-fi like most international hostels. They even offer free laptop or desktop for those travelers traveling without their gadgets.
5) The one at Jodhpur is close to the airport, while the ones at Jaipur and Udaipur are located right in the heart of the city and close to all tourist attractions. Even though the Jodhpur hostel is close to the airport, it is still close to all the tourist attractions as the city is extremely small.
6) The people running the place share the love of travel and are great company for us travelers. They make sure all our questions are answered and if not, they guide us in the right direction.
7) The hostel at Jodhpur comes with a roof top view and sit out area. Between 8 pm and 9:30 pm, one can catch a good view of the lights at Ummaid Bhavan Palace from here.
8) They also offer tailor made tours for those who want a bit of planning.
9) Their washrooms are clean, airy and come with all necessary amenities.
10) And all this costs only INR 350 per person per night, which is just USD 6, which according to me fits perfectly into the world of budget travel.
I thoroughly loved my stay at Zostel – Jodhpur and would love to stay again with them at their Udaipur and Jaipur property sometime soon. If you are a budget traveler and seek the joy of hostels, I would recommend that you give them a try.