Even though I had gone on a budget backpacking trip to Nepal, I felt like indulging in some luxury on my last 2 days here and hence booked my stay at Kathmandu Guest House, one of Kathmandu’s oldest and iconic luxury properties. I stayed here for 2 days and 1 night and the below review is based on this recent experience of mine.
1) This hotel is situated in the heart of Thamel, the touristy district, but is still away from the chaos and noise of Thamel.
2) Since it is located in Thamel, it is close to all the popular tourist attractions of Kathmandu, the shopping area, the local bazaars, the restaurants and bars, the temples and much more.
3) The interiors of the hotel are very tastefully done up in local design and folklore with statues, pictures, paintings and much more giving you a local feel. They even have replicas of statues from the Kathmandu museum at different corners of the hotel.
4) Since the hotel is an iconic property, they are extremely pro-customer service and have maintained the property very well.
5) In line with its luxury tag, the hotel has very comfortable and soft beds, good air-conditioning, good quality bathrooms with running hot water, great internet speeds, 24 hour electricity and nearly sound proof rooms. These are indeed a luxury in Kathmandu and the rest of Nepal.
6) The room prices vary from USD 80 to USD 250. Some of the rooms are fan cooled, while most of them are air-conditioned. Some of them are garden facing, while some of them face the city. The view gets better with elevation. The hotel runs 50% discounts during the low season. At such times, these rooms become a great value for money.
7) The hotel also has an in-house restaurant, spa service, business center, booking office, concierge service and more.
If you are looking to stay in a luxury property in the middle of Kathmandu’s Thamel and wish to be away from Thamel’s chaos during your stay, this is one good option that I would recommend. There are some more other luxury properties that I walked into before booking my stay here, but personally, I liked this option more.