This guest house is part of a 270 year old Armenian building located in the atmospheric town of Sanliurfa in South Eastern Turkey. This town is a bit off the typical tourist trail of Turkey and is located close to the border with Syria. It is steeped in a lot of history and still retains an unspoilt and original look and feel. I stayed in this town for 3 days and 2 nights and during my stay parked myself at the Aslan Guest House. The below review is based on my recent experience of staying with them.
1) The hotel has great location. It is located at 10 to 15 minute walk from all the top sights and attractions that include the bazaar, the museums, the mosque, the fish pond, the castle and others.
2) The ambience of staying in an old house done up tastefully in local traditional design is a bonus.
3) The guest house is located right in the middle of a residential area and hence there might be some trouble finding the place, but directions to the guest house can be found at many places and the locals are really helpful.
4) There is a school located right opposite the guest house. Sometimes, sound levels were more, but it did not affect my sleep in any way.
5) The dormitory is located in an ancient cave room which stays warm during the night and cold during the day.
6) Free breakfast is served in their open courtyard. They serve a local delicacy that is like chilly and scrambled eggs, which is absolutely delicious. It is however a bit on the spicier side.
7) Free tea is served all through the day. Water, Beer and cold drinks can be purchased from the kitchen. Lunch and dinner are provided for at an additional cost if ordered during breakfast.
8) The owner Aslan is very helpful with directions, local places to eat, top places to see and the likes. However, he tries to sell tours to every customer, which is not received well by many.
9) Free wi-fi of good quality is available all throughout the guest house.
10) The guest house is a bit far away from the bus station and the airport. But, that is because, they are located in the new city or in the outskirts.
11) Many restaurants, local dessert shops, super markets and shops are located at a walking distance from the guest house.
12) The guest house did not have any maps, but they compensated by giving me excellent directions.
13) The people running the place are very kind and always serve you with a big smile. I really liked talking with them.
14) The place is also very clean and provides all basic and important amenities like heater/air-conditioning, hot water, breakfast, guidance, etc.
If I return to Sanliurfa and which I intend to on my next trip to Turkey to see Gobekli Tepe and Mt.Neemrut, I will definitely stay here again. In my mind, they are a home in Urfa who offer hotel like amenities.