Tehran is one of those cities in Iran where it is difficult to find decent budget accommodation. Maashad Hostel, located close to the Grand Bazaar is one such option. I stayed here for 3 nights and 4 days and the below review is based on my recent experience of staying here.
1) This hostel offers dormitories and private rooms. All rooms have shared bathrooms.
2) There are no safety lockers available and that includes even the reception. No towels are provided. Sheets and blankets are provided though.
3) The hostel has squat style toilets and a bathroom that provides hot showers. Cleanliness is basic. Don’t expect super clean facilities.
4) Free wi-fi is available in this hostel, though during the day, the speed tends to be a bit on the slower side.
5) There are no restaurants located close to the hostel. The nearest restaurants or cafes are at least a 10 minute walk away.
6) Cleanliness in the common areas is a bit on the low, but the rooms are alright.
7) The people running the place speak basic English and they provide only some basic information.
8) The hostel doesn’t provide any maps, though the metro station, the Golistan palace and the Grand Bazaar are just a short walk away from the hostel.
9) Even though the hostel is located right on the main road, the hostel rooms are surprisingly quiet.
10) The hostel doesn’t have an in-house kitchen or restaurant and do not serve any breakfast.
If you are looking for a real budget accommodation in Tehran and can adjust for a couple of days before you head out to the other cities of Iran, this place can make the cut. Else, it can be quite difficult to stay here.