Generally, as a thumb rule, backpacker hostels have prime locations, but even among them, there are some that leave you totally spoilt with respect to location. I stayed at one such place in Istanbul and this place is called the World House Hostel. I stayed here for 4 days and 4 nights and the below hostel review is based on this experience of mine.
1) This hostel has phenomenal location. It is located right next to the Galata tower, one of the top tourist attractions of Istanbul. It is right at the edge of Istiklal Street on Beyoglu, which is Istanbul’s eating and nightlife district. It is a short walk from the Galata Bridge and 2 to 3 tram stops from the other key tourist attractions of Istanbul. What more can one ask for?
2) The place is run by an interesting mix of local and international staff who love to interact with travelers and give great advice. They have dorms and private rooms. Since they are located within the party circuit of Istanbul, their prices tend to increase over the weekend.
3) The place is great with lovely Turkish breakfast that comes free, safety lockers, hot showers and comfortable beds. The only problem with respect to amenities was weak room heating.
4) They offer free wi-fi in the hostel, but the speeds can be slow at many times.
5) One of the big problems with this hostel is that the people who stay here are party lovers. So, if you are not the party going type and wish to turn in earlier, you will have a tough time as the sound levels stay high till midnight.
6) The sound from the mosque tends to wake most of the people in the mornings. But, that is true with most of the places in Istanbul.
7) The hostel has an in-house restaurant that serves affordable and delicious lunch that is very popular with the locals.
8) Shopping, ATMs, restaurants, supermarkets and other amenities are just a stone’s throw away.
9) The hostel has a lounge area, but it tends to be small when the hostel is fun, which is most of the time.
If you love to party and are looking for great location in your hostel and value for money, then the World House Hostel can make an interesting choice.