Luxury vacations are on the rise worldwide, with India quickly becoming a hot spot for tourists from all over the planet. No matter where these visitors are coming from, whether it’s far in the Russian north or down under in southern Australia, there’s no destination quite like Rajasthan. As India’s largest state, Rajasthan offers over 130 thousand square miles of culture, history and beauty for visitors and locals alike, with “the Pink City” nestled in the eastern district of Jaipur. Virtual Tourist rates half of Jaipur’s top 10 attractions at four stars or higher, making this one of the most highly-praised tourist traps in India—and that’s just the city, not the whole district.
To get a real taste of Rajasthan, from culture to cuisine, Jaipur is the place to stay; however, as with any international vacation, that means choosing the establishment in which you stay very carefully.
Must Have Features The first thing you want to look for in a resort is features that are “all-inclusive”. According to Business Insider, this means that features like lodging, dining and in-house activities such as water sports or tennis should be included in the room price. This allows you to leave your wallet behind while you trek around your home away from home; no worrying about paying extra for towels, chairs or bottled water.
It’s important to note, however, that not being “all-inclusive” shouldn’t knock a resort off your list. When it all comes down to it, you need to make sure that the Jaipur resort in question offers the following features, at a price you can afford:
1. Queen or king size beds. If you wanted to sleep in a twin or a full, you would have gotten a hotel!
2. Swimming pool, hot tub or spa. All three is best, but every resort should have at least one of these features to give you a chance to lay back and relax for a little while after a long day of touring this beautiful city.
3. Concierge services. This means a receptionist capable not only of giving you tips on which tours and attractions you should visit, but can book them for you. The best resorts keep you from having to do any work at all.
4. Dining in-house. A lodging destination isn’t a resort without its own restaurant. Whether it’s connected to the lobby or only accessible from the outside, to get a true taste of Rajasthan you need access to the best in Jaipur fine dining.
5. Basic hotel amenities. This means bellhops to carry your baggage, housekeeping to make your bed and room service to bring you food, fresh towels and other necessities once you’ve arrived.
If the resort you’re eyeing doesn’t offer at least these five features, look somewhere else. The best resorts consider it their duty to take care of you and make sure you enjoy your vacation, so hold them to it.
There are, of course, other bonus features and amenities you can look out for. Karma Luxury Resorts’ Jaipur location offers visitors access to a gym, a fully supervised “kid’s club,” and a step well (a traditional Indian pool) with live music throughout the week. You can expect live music to be a standard at most Indian resorts—particularly those run by Karma—along with engaging and exotic activities like puppet shows, live stage performances, dancing and more.
Many resorts, particularly in India, offer traditional or cultural features that aren’t always fully advertised, so talk to your booking agent about what the resort really offers before you make a reservation. Lonely Planet refers to Jaipur as an “the gateway to India’s most flamboyant state,” so make sure that your resort experience is designed to show off the culture and color that makes Rajasthan so enthralling. These extra amenities, features and options offered by the best resorts in the city make it easier than ever to get a true taste of all Rajasthan has to offer.
Enjoy Rajasthan in Comfort
Regardless of what resort or hotel you choose, just make sure that you’re going to be enjoying Rajasthan’s most colorful city in comfort, if not luxury. A safe place to lay your head at the end of a busy tourist day can be more than enough for some visitors, and if that’s all you need then there’s nothing wrong with looking for it. However, if you want to get the most out of your vacation, from local amenities to entertainment to dining, then going a little higher class may be your best bet. The best resorts in Rajasthan didn’t get that kind of praise for no reason—complement the beauty of your vacation city with your temporary vacation home by choosing a resort that doesn’t just give you what you need, but the kind of experience you really want.