Brisbane, the capital city of sunny Queensland is a great riverside city that offers a lot of avenues for the visitor to indulge in. If you are a backpacker and looking for budget accommodation, you will either find them near the CBD or in the suburbs. Personally, I prefer staying close to the CBD as the entire riverside, the downtown, the bus stations, the train stations and most of the attractions are within walking distance and suits my style of traveling. During my recent visits to Brisbane, I stayed at the Chill Backpackers on Upper Roma Street and the below review is based on these recent experiences of mine.
1) The hostel is located at a 3 minute walk from the Roma transit station and is only a 7 minute walk to the Queen street mall and the city hall, which gives it a top proximity to most of the city’s top attractions.
2) The riverside is only a 10 minute walk away. This is a part of the city that is famous for its running and cycling tracks, cafes, arts center, parks and restaurants.
3) The hostel has a great roof top, which offers fantastic views of the Brisbane river and is a great setting for cooler evenings.
4) All the rooms in the hostel are air-conditioned and come with fully equipped shared bathrooms and toilets.
5) The only negative about this hostel is the fact that you have to pay for your wi-fi. However, the southbank CBD area by the riverside offers free wi-fi, so if you do not want to pay, you can head there.
6) The hostel reception is very helpful. The hostel has a kitchen where you can store food, cook and where you can even borrow their vessels.
7) The hostel has a movie room, pool table and desktops available for rent. These are good to have.
8) The hostel doesn’t have safety lockers in the dormitories, though they have a common locker system managed by the reception.
9) The hostel is located at a short walk from the restaurants, fast food joints, bars and pubs.
The hostel is great. It would be fabulous if it had free wi-fi and safety lockers. But, in itself, I think I like its cleanliness and definitely its proximity to the city. You can definitely look at the Chill Backpackers for centrally located budget accommodation in Brisbane.