From time to time, I end up staying at some hostels that feel like home. I end up staying there for a long while and make great friends there. When I traveled recently to Heidelberg, the beautiful town in the Baden-Wurttemberg region of Germany, I stayed at the Lotte Heidelberg, a great backpacker hostel. This review is based on my experience of staying here.
1) This hostel is run by a backpacker who knows what backpackers look at and hence every thing that a backpacker looks for in a hostel is taken care of.
2) The hostel is set in a classic house that is located right in the center of old Heidelberg. The famous Heidelberg castle is right behind the hostel and it takes only a 10 minute walk to reach the top of the castle. Restaurants, Supermarkets, shops, visitor center and many tourist attractions are located a short walk away. Even the local train station is a 10 minute walk away.
3) The hostel has both dormitories and rooms. I stayed in a dormitory and these come with well aired surroundings, many windows, great mattresses, safety lockers, private light, table and chairs.
4) Cereal, milk, coffee and tea are available to all 24 hours a day.
5) They have an in-house kitchen where you can cook your meals at any time of the day. The kitchen is fully functional with a refrigerator, microwave, kettle, dishwasher and much more. The best part of the kitchen is that you don’t have to wash the dishes.
6) The hostel also sells cold beverages and beer that you can buy for a price.
7) The hostel has an outdoor area for smoking and an indoor lounge where you can access the internet at the home computer, read any of the many books or simply have great conversations with fellow inmates.
8) The hostel offers free wi-fi and that can be accessed in the kitchen, lounge and all dormitories/rooms.
9) All rooms come with keys. Even the main entrance door has a key. So all security aspects are covered. The reception is open from 8 AM through 10 PM and are always eager to help you with maps, directions, tips and other helpful advice.
10) The bathrooms come with all modern facilities and the hot showers are of the same quality as expensive hotels.
11) The only problem in the hostel is that it doesn't have an elevator and if you are carrying heavy suitcases and staying in one of their rooms upstairs, you might have to carry all that weight through their narrow flight of stairs. But, you will always find some kind of help.
12) The hostel has no curfew. But, in spite of that, it doesn’t have a party atmosphere inside the hostel premises and hence one can enjoy great sleep during the night.
If you are a backpacker, a budget traveler, solo traveler or even a traveling couple and if you are headed towards Heidelberg, you might want to check this hostel out. I would totally recommend Lotte – The Backpackers and would definitely stay here again when I visit Heidelberg.