If the ruins of Ephesus is on your Turkey holiday itinerary, then in all probability you will be staying at the small laidback town of Selcuk, where I ended up staying for 2 nights at a family run Guest House called the Boomerang Guest House. The below property review is based on this recent experience of mine.
1) Selcuk is a small town. So basically, everything is within walking distance. The bus station is right opposite the property thus giving you easy and quick access to long distance buses and the dolmuses (to Efes, the beach and other neighboring towns like Sirince).
2) The property is run by a Turkish man, his Chinese wife and his family. They used to live in Australia and hence there is a lot of Australian flavor in this guest house. They offer a lot of Australian dishes and even their favorite vegemite.
3) The place is tastefully done up and they take good care of you while you are there. The owners are very resourceful in giving you information and guiding you to the right place. They are also located in a very quiet neighborhood.
4) Ephesus is just a 10 minute mini bus ride away and the rest of the sights of Selcuk town – the castle, the church, the mosque and the temple of Artemis are just a short walk away.
5) The guest house has an in-house restaurant. Their free breakfast is great and so is the rest of their food.
6) They have a nice dormitory with in-suite bathrooms. But, the dormitory is mostly cold through the day and night and does not have any safety lockers. The showers are very warm and the dorms are also very quiet.
7) They have free wi-fi on their property, which works great in all their rooms and restaurant area. The speeds are one of the faster ones I have encountered in Turkey.
8) The property is located close to restaurants, super markets and the train station.
If you are looking for great family run budget accommodation in Selcuk, this place is a great bet.