If you are a tourist to Istanbul, you are bound to stay either in the Taksim or the Sultanahmet area of Istanbul as they are close to all the key attractions. On my first visit to Istanbul, I stayed in the Sultanahmet area at a hotel called the Subrosa Station. I stayed at this budget hotel for 3 days and 2 nights and the below is my review of this hotel based on this recent experience of mine.
1) The hotel has great location. Situated just 200m from the Sultanahmet tram station and short walking distance to the Blue Mosque, Ay Sofya, Topkapi Palace and the Basilica Cistern, this place is close to all the main attractions of Istanbul. And since the tram station is located close by, all the other places are also easily accessible.
2) The hotel has comfortable rooms that offer heating/cooling, attached bathroom with hot water and great wi-fi.
3) The people running this guest house are great people who are always happy to answer the various questions that the travelers have. They also speak good English.
4) There are many restaurants near the hotel, but most of them are very expensive as they cater primarily to the tourists. If you walk a bit further, you will find authentic and cheaper local restaurants.
5) The hotel is also close to the grand bazaar area and the spice market in case you are interested in shopping.
6) If you have an evening bus, this hotel allows you to use their common room, wi-fi, toilets and also provide you with access to a luggage storage room.
7) In terms of access from the airport, you can do a combination of metro and tram (if you are coming from Attaturk airport) or get a bus (if you are coming from Sabiha airport)
8) Even though the hotel is located right in the middle of the busy area, it is awfully quiet in the night and ensures good sleep. The only problem is the early morning call for prayer, which you can hear almost from everywhere in Turkey.
9) The standard rooms cost about 40 Euros. They don’t offer breakfast or any other meal. But, they offer hot tea, coffee and water all through the day.
If you are looking for a good budget hotel in the tourist hub of Sultanahmet, you should give this place a try. It is simple, clean and comfortable.