There are many guest houses, hostels and hotels that are good out there, but a few fall in the category of home away from home. The Yildirim Guest house falls in the later category. During my recent visit to Fethiye on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey, I stayed here for 5 nights. I absolutely loved my experience of staying here and extended my initial 2 night plan to 5 nights. Below is a detailed review based on this recent experience of mine.
1) The guest house is located right opposite the marina front along with other guest houses. It is a 15 minute walk from the city center and market area.
2) The guest house is run by a man, who is a traveler himself. Omer is extremely resourceful and helpful. He helped me with details about the Lycian way, local sightseeing information, best restaurants to eat in the town, and much more. He helped others with tours, hamam baths, tickets, etc. Basically, a very resourceful local contact.
3) The guest house has simple and comfortable rooms and dormitory. Both of them come with hot showers. The dormitory doesn’t have safety lockers, but their 24 hour security provides some comfort.
4) They serve free and great Turkish breakfast every morning. Breakfast is of great quality. They also serve free coffee and tea all through the day and night.
5) Free wi-fi is available all through the guest house. However, during bad weather, the wi-fi kept playing hide and seek.
6) The family atmosphere of this guest house is what I really liked. You meet fellow travelers, share travel stories, travel together and get tips from Omer. Sometimes, we even cook together. On one night, I was invited to cook Indian food for the interested customers.
7) The guest house doesn’t have an in-house restaurant and most of the restaurants are at least a 10 minute walk away, but if you manage the walk, you will come across a wide variety of restaurants and bars. Supermarkets and ATMs however, are located very close by.
8) All the tourist attractions are located outside Fethiye and will require you to either rent a motorcycle or car or take the public mini-bus (dolmus). The mini-bus station is a 15 minute walk through the market area of Fethiye.
9) Pick-ups, tours and bookings are arranged by the guest house, in case you wish for help.
10) The guest house provides laundry service, for an additional fee.
11) The dormitory is comfortable and warm, but when it rains heavily, you can hear the sound of rain in the room.
I really had a great time staying here and exploring the beautiful Mediterranean coast of Turkey along with its spectacular hikes. If you are looking for quality, homely, budget and comfortable accommodation, then I would recommend that you give this guest house a try.