Jalan Gaya in the downtown area of Kota Kinabalu is the area where most hotels and backpacker hostels are located and I stayed at the Asia Adventure Lodge located in this area. The below review is based on my recent experience of staying here for 3 days and 3 nights.
1) The hostel is run by a local family who tries and makes your stay as good as possible. This really made my stay special for me.
2) The place has got great location with the Sunday market, the restaurants, the travel agencies, the souvenir shops, the super marts, the ferry service and most of the sights all in close proximity.
3) For 25 RM, one can get a bed in an air-conditioned dormitory. You can get discounts if you stay for longer durations. Free breakfast is included in this stay.
4) The place comes with free wi-fi (that has good speeds), a television and an open sit out.
5) Free breakfast (from 7 AM to 10:30 AM) includes toast, butter, jam and coffee/tea. Water is served free of cost all through the day.
6) Apart from dormitories, this lodge also has rooms.
7) The beds in the hostel may be a bit old, but they are devoid of any smell or insects.
8) The best thing about the lodge is that they want it to be clean always.
9) The family running the place are more eager to guide you properly than sell their own tours to you.
I really like this simple homely place. I would recommend it to all backpackers and budget travelers.