I landed in Penang’s Georgetown without any booking on the day of Hari Raya Aidilfitri (national holiday in Malaysia) and ended up walking many of the streets in the world heritage site area only to be told that they were all booked full. As I kept my search going, I landed at this place called ‘Hotel Noble’ on Lorong Pasar (near Love Lane). Thankfully, they had one room available and we ended up staying here for 3 nights. The below review is based on my recent experience of staying here.
1) The hotel is located inside the heritage zone, which gives it great location. All tourist attractions, restaurants, shopping zones, super markets, travel agencies and bus stops are all within walking distance.
2) The hotel is run by a Chinese family who are eager to make your stay comfortable.
3) The hotel does not have an in-house kitchen and hence you will have to have all your meals outside.
4) The hotel has free wi-fi,though the speeds are not super great.
5) They have large sized rooms, which are either fan cooled or air-conditioned. The spring mattresses can sometimes test your back or may be it is me.
6) All rooms come with shared toilets and bathrooms. These are clean, but sometimes you have to wait during the early hours of the morning.
7) The fan cooled rooms do not have any plug points, but they do provide external plug points to charge your gadgets. They charge 2 MYR per day for this.
8) The hotel front desk helps with maps, directions, bus bookings and other tourist requirements. They also stock water, juices and electrolytes at fair prices.
9) The good thing about the hotel is that most of it is open and hence is well light and airy. One can sit in any of their vast open spaces and read a book/work, etc.
10) The hotel offers laundry service for an additional cost.
If you are a family or a traveler looking to spend quality time in Penang, you can look at this hotel. It is not necessarily the best in terms of facilities, but its homely atmosphere and budget cost makes up for the loss.