Yazd is one of those places of Iran that has a calm, relaxed and archaic feel to it. It is one of the highlights of Iran and is steeped in deep desert culture and great desserts. During my stay at this lovely city, I stayed at a place called the Silk Road Hotel, a traditional house turned into a hotel for 3 nights and 4 days. The below review is based on recent experience of staying here.
1) This place is located right opposite the Jame Mosque and is hence located right next to the old city, which gives it prime location. And because of this prime location, most of the places to see, visit, eat, buy, etc. are all within walking distance.
2) This traditional hotel offers a great local ambience that comes with private rooms and dormitories. The rooms are great, while the dormitories are a bit smelly, due to lack of ventilation. But, their prices are very attractive and hence the stuffiness is easily forgotten. The dormitories don’t have heating and sometimes get cold early in the morning. The shared bathrooms are great and provide lovely hot showers.
3) The hotel serves great food. This is one of their top attributes. Their breakfast is possibly one of the best I have had in all of Iran and their in-house restaurant dishes out some delicious local and Indian food. The food prices are also very reasonable.
4) The people running the place have an Indian connection.
5)The people running this place are very friendly and always eager to help. I feel like a friend or a member of family here.
6) The wi-fi in this hotel has great coverage and the speed is good, but when there are more people accessing it, the speed drops terribly.
7) The hotel also has an in-house travel agent who helps with all bus, train, tours and flight ticket bookings. They are very professional and helpful too.
If you are looking for a great budget hotel in the heart of Yazd, look at the Silk Road Hotel. If I return to Yazd, I would definitely stay with them.