Even though North Goa is known for its parties, flea markets, adventure sports and more, I find the beaches of South Goa to be more picturesque, serene, endowed with natural beauty and less crowded. Below is a list of my top beaches (have ranked them: 1 being the best) that come under the Canacona district of South Goa. I thought I should share this list given that the Goa season is fast approaching.
1. Galgibaga Beach This is definitely the cleanest beach in Goa and may be, the whole of Indian mainland. I call it the turtle beach since the Olive Ridley Turtles come to nest here. Accommodation options may be less here, but that helps in preserving this natural beauty.
2. Cola Beach A very remote beach that has its own river, a small lagoon and the sea to itself. This is ideal for those who prefer a very quiet beach and would like to enjoy those serene sunsets with their loved ones. The freshwater body also adds a special charm to this beach.
3. Agonda Beach This is a popular beach next to the Agonda river estuary that is frequented by those who wish to stay around for long periods of times. One can find houses and shacks on rent by the month here. Sunsets here are legendary. For those staying here, the Cabo de Rama Fort is not too far away.
4. Palolem Beach The Palolem Beach is the most happening beach in the Canacona district with a lot of facilities. Ideal for families with great choice available in food.
5. Honeymoon Beach This is a pristine beach that is located on an island. One can get here in the early hours of the morning with packed food, enjoy the beach to themselves and then return to Palolem by evening. Great place to spot dolphins too.
6. Butterfly Beach A very small island beach that is about a 15 minute boat ride from Palolem. Ideal for those who are interested in climbing up the small hillocks of the hill, soak in the stunning Arabian Sea views, take a swim in the waters, have a relaxed afternoon and then return to Palolem in the evening. Watch out for the tides here.
7. Patnem Beach This is the beach that is most preferred by the foreign tourists as it is real close to the party zone that happens all night. Thursdays and Saturdays are the happening nights. It would be difficult to find a domestic tourist staying here.
8. Rajbaga Beach This is the beach that is right in front of the Lalit Intercontinental property. The Talpona river separates it from the Galgibaga beach. Ideal for those luxury seekers and those who wish to indulge in some adventure sports.
9. Colomb Beach This beach next to the Patnem Beach is known for its cove. Has an equal mix of domestic and foreign tourists. The beach is really small, but the waters can be real gentle here.
I hope that this list helps in planning your upcoming South Goa holiday.