The Simba Lodges is one of the older and top end of the wildlife lodges in Kenya along with the Sarova and the Serena group. I recently stayed at one of their properties, the ‘Mara Simba Lodge’ at the Maasai Mara Game Reserve. This property is just situated outside the eastern perimeter of the reserve and by the Talek river.
Following points make up my review of this wildlife lodge:
1) Mara Simba’s location, next to the Talek river is one of its positive attributes. Being close to the river, the lodge residents can enjoy a whole lot of wildlife including birds without going out of the lodge. During my stay here, I saw hippos, banded mongooses, nile monitors and a whole lot of colorful birds while I was either at their dining area or walking around the property.
2) The other thing that I liked was the large rooms that are built in the form of cottages. These wooden rooms run parallel to the river and thus make for a great view straight from the room.
3) The lodge has a swimming pool too, but I never got a chance to use it as I was busy enjoying game drives in the Mara.
4) The food at the Mara Simba is good too. Their spread and choices were great. I absolutely loved the local Kenyan dishes that the chef prepared for me upon special request.
5) The bar counter also allows you to face the river. This forms a great past time in the evening, though you might have to be prepared for some mosquitoes. A live band plays some guitar and other soothing music during the evenings.
6) The Simba lodge has an in-house shopping center that is worth visiting.
7) The reception and the main areas of the lodge have some interesting wall hangings like a Maasai warrior or a large giraffe with lights coming out of their eyes. This is the lighting for the key areas providing a warm tone and an interesting ambience.
8) Even though the Mara Simba Lodge is situated outside the park boundary, it does not feel like you are outside. It’s green setting and the river proximity makes up for it. And since it is just 2 minutes from the park gate, it doesn’t affect game drives too.
Overall, I liked the Mara Simba lodge a lot and would definitely return there again.