If you are a backpacker and looking for budget accommodation in Chiang Rai, look around Wat Jet Yod. This is what I did when I landed in Chiang Rai a week back and after a lot of walking and searching found the Boonbundan Guest House where I ended up staying for 2 nights and 3 days. This review is based on my experience of staying here.
1) The Boonbundan Guest House is located at a short walk from Chiang Rai’s Bus terminal 1 and it is located close to the night bazaars and the walking streets of Chiang Rai and this is one of the benefits of this place.
2) The place is located slightly away from the pubs and bars and hence the music in the night doesn’t borrow much.
3) At 200 THB, one can get a fan-cooled room with a private bathroom. The rooms are fairly large, but cam do with some new paint and a makeover.
4) The place has hot shower, free wi-fi and an in-house restaurant for their guests.
5) The place does not provide a laundry service and the reception can be a bit better when it comes to handling customers. May be they are home-run, but they can certainly do with some more attention.
The place is not great, but is good for travelers on a budget and who need the basic comfort and amenities.