In South Cambodia’s Sihanoukville, the action takes place close to the beach and hence it makes sense to stay closer to the beach unless you have a vehicle of your own. The most popular beach in terms of tourist infrastructure is Serendipity and Occhetual beach. It is a long beach stretch and most of the hotels and guesthouses are located close to it. I stayed at this place called the Mohochai Guest House that is situated on the road leading to the Serendipity reach and the review below is based on my experience of staying 2 nights here.
1) The place has one of the cheapest rooms on this stretch of the beach. Rooms start at USD 7 and for this price you get a room with a double bed, a fan, a private bathroom and a sit out.
2) The guest house has more variety of rooms with increasing comfort and cost. Personally, I took the USD 9 room that was slightly bigger than the USD 7 room, but with the same amenities.
3) Mohochai guest house is only a short walk away from the beach, the dive shops, the restaurants and the supermarkets. This gives it a lot of brownie points.
4) Like most of Sihanoukville, even Mohochai gets infested with mosquitoes during the evening and the early morning hours. It is better to keep your mosquito repellant ready.
5) Mohochai has their own bar, restaurant and in-house dive shop to cater to your needs. The place also comes with free wi-fi and a laundry service.
6) Most of the people staying here are budget travelers, long term travelers or backpackers and it is a good place to meet like-minded people.
7) Electricity supply is intermittent in Sihanoukville, but the Mohochai folks run a generator to supply backup power.
If you are a budget traveler or backpacker looking for a room near the beach, this is one of those places you should check out. In case you are looking for cheaper dorm beds, look at the lane opposite to Mohochai.