Most of the hotels and hostels in Vientiane are located close to the Mekong river and more or less offer the same price. While the hotels in Vientiane do not have the variety in budget of Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng or other destinations, the hostels are more or less the same price. But, they vary in quality and service and that is why I feel the Funky Monkey Hostel is a good value for money hostel. I stayed here for 4 nights and the below review is based on that recent experience of mine.
1) For 40,000 kip per person, this hostel offers a bed in a large air conditioned dormitory and offers free breakfast that is full and healthy.
2) Unlike other hostels in the area, this hostel does not switch off the AC when people are in the dormitory and the AC remote is in the control of the hostel inmates and not someone sitting in the reception.
3) The hostel has a lot of shower rooms and toilets that ensure there is hardly any crowd to take a shower or to use the loo.
4) The breakfast is simple fare, but is enough to make you full.
5) The people running the place do not speak much English, but are always willing to help you out with your various requests.
6) There is free wi-fi at the hostel, but sometimes the speed leaves a lot to be desired.
7) The hostel is close to the night market, the mini marts, the restaurants and the booking agencies. This gives it great brownie points.
8) The hostel also sells bus and train tickets and arranges tours.
9) Like all hostels, this one too is a great place to meet other backpackers who make interesting company.
This hostel is perfect for those solo travelers, backpackers and budget travelers who are looking at value for money places in Vientiane. I would definitely recommend it and would love to stay with them again.