Inle lake is one of Burma’s main tourist attractions and hence it is no surprise that there are a lot of accommodation options in Nyaung Shwe (budget) and on the lake (luxury). Nyaung Shwe is a small town and hence it is easy to get around between the hotels. While I was here, I stayed at the Gold Star Hotel in one of the inner lanes of Nyaung Shwe and near the main temple area. I stayed here for 3 days and 2 nights and the below review is based on my recent experience here.
1) The Gold Star Hotel is one of the more decent budget places in Nyaung Shwe. They offer large rooms for a competitive price, free internet, hot showers, free breakfast and more.
2) For USD 25, one can get a large room with an attached bathroom. During the day, one has to use the fan and during the night, the temperature drops so much that it becomes very comfortable to sleep in a blanket.
3) They are one of the few places in town to have free wi-fi. The speed was very respectable as I could do a skype call. The only problem was that during my last night the internet stopped working, but apparently the internet stopped working in the whole town.
4) The people running the hotel are very helpful and help you with maps, directions, things to see, do and more.
5) The reception arranges boat trips, ticket booking, trekking trips and more. Their prices are very competitive and sometimes it is cheaper to book boat trips at the reception than directly going to the boat driver.
6) Since Nyaung Shwe is a small town, getting around is very easy. The market is a 10 minute walk away. This is where all the banks, grocery stores and booking agencies are present. The restaurants are spread all over the town and some of them are very close to the hotel.
7) The hotel serves free breakfast in the morning between 6 AM and 9 AM and the food is tasty and filling.
If you are looking for comfortable budget stay in Nyaung Shwe, this hotel offers a good option. I would be happy to stay at this hotel again when I return to Inle Lake.