If you want to do budget travel in Sulawesi island, then in all probability you will pass through Makassar, the capital of South Sulawesi. Most of the cheaper airlines and good bus connectivity goes through Makassar. This is where I began my Sulawesi trip as flights into Makassar were much cheaper than anywhere else on the Sulawesi island. While I was there at Makassar, I stayed at the New Legend Hostel on Jalan Jampea street in the Chinatown area and close to the harbor of Makassar. The below review is based on my recent experience of staying one night here.
1) The hostel is true backpacker style. It is slightly old, a bit run down at some places, but is the cheapest accommodation you can get in Makassar.
2) The dormitory beds cost 75,000 rupiah per night. They have 4 beds in one room and are cooled by a fan. The dorms don’t have doors or safety lockers, but it does not have bed bugs. The rooms come in fan and air-con options with attached bathrooms and cost 110,000 and 135,000 rupiah. Some inmates mentioned that their rooms had bed bugs. The shared bathrooms only have cold running water.
3) A simple breakfast of bread, eggs and tea/coffee is served free of cost from 7 AM to 10 AM.
4) Free wi-fi is available, but only at the reception on the ground floor.
5) The location of this place is one of its strengths. It is close to the Rotterdam Fort, Losari beach, the traditional Poverte Port and the harbor, which are some of the main tourist spots in Makassar city. The place is also close to many restaurants, warungs and street shops. Groceries, ATMs, supermarts and pharmacy stores are also very easily accessible.
6) The hostel is not very clean and can have a musty wet smell, but thankfully the dorms, the bathrooms and toilets located on the floors above were cleaner.
7) The reception is pretty helpful in arranging tickets for you and also guide you around the town.
If budget is a constraint, this is the place in Makassar. If budget is not a problem, then there are many options available close to this hostel and also in other parts of town.