A lot of tourists visiting the colonial city of Mandalay prefer to stay near the Zeygo market or in any of the streets near it. This is because this is more or less the center of town and this is where the action is. I stayed amidst all the action too at the Garden Hotel is situated on 83rd street and 25th street. The below review is based on my experience of staying 4 days and 3 days here.
1) The hotel has a wide variety of rooms in their 5 floor properties. The ones on the top are the hottest fan cooled rooms and the cheapest at $10 per night. The standard air-conditioned rooms are $18 and come with all facilities like attached bathroom, TV, fridge, etc.
2) There are power outages in all of Mandalay for long periods of time. Thankfully, this hotel has a 24 hour backup power generator that ensures the lights, fans and television works. The air-conditioner alone works on the direct power supply.
3) The rooms have all facilities, but the upholstery and the overall building looks a bit dated. But, considering it is Myanmar, I guess this is understood.
4) The hotel offers free wi-fi, but the internet worked only for a day in my 4 days here. The reception kept saying that there is some trouble at the government’s communication center.
5) The hotel offers free and wholesome breakfast.
6) The hotel reception are very attentive, though they are clueless about certain tourist attractions.
7) Travel agents,restaurants, markets and shops are all a short walk away. The arts studios are all within a short drive.
8) The hotel is located on a busy road, but the insides seem to be insulated from the sounds.
The hotel is basic from an international standpoint, but it solves the purpose from a Myanmar perspective. When compared to other hotels in the vicinity and the city, this one is value for money.