One of Incredible India’s gorgeous temples, the Sun Temple of Konark in itself is reason enough to make a trip to Odisha. The first time I visited this temple, I was a young boy with wide open eyes. Twenty five years down the line, the Konark Sun Temple kept me totally mesmerized and captivated during my two sunrise and sunset visits. During this visit to Konark, I stayed at the Yatrinivas, a hotel run by Odisha tourism. The below hotel review is based on this recent experience of mine.
1) Personally, I love government properties as they enjoy prime location, but they are mostly in need of heavy repair. But, when I checked in to the Yatrinivas at Konark, I was happy to see that this place was newly renovated. It had keyless entry, clean and green environment and good helpful people.
2) The Yatrinivas hotel is located just a short 5 minute walk from the Sun Temple. Most restaurants and street shops are located in between the temple and the hotel. And the government museum is next door. Basically, the hotel enjoys great location.
3) Chandra Bhaga beach is a short auto rickshaw ride away and the bus stands are 1 km away.
4) A standard air-conditioned room that I opted for was INR 1200 per night inclusive of all taxes. The room came with a double bed, a window AC, satellite television, hot shower facility and free breakfast. They also have larger family rooms and fan-cooled rooms.
5) They have an in-house restaurant that serves good local and Indian food, but service is a tad slow.
6) They do not have internet or any sort of wi-fi connectivity in the hotel.
7) The front desk of the hotel was extremely helpful and helped me with very handy information about the nearby villages that are known for some of Odisha’s famous artists. Even if they didn’t the complete details, they guided me to it and I really liked that aspect of their service.
8) Due to its proximity to the sun temple, one can easily plan those early morning visits, return for breakfast, head to the museum, return for lunch and some rest and then head back to the temple for a sunset visit. And all this easily on foot.
While there are other hotels closer to the Sun temple, the Yatrinivas is ideal for those families seeking some modern comforts and not paying too much money. It is one of those places that make for good value for money. I would definitely stay here again.